Happy Friday everyone!
Today I am sharing with you a very simple and easy recipe. This dish is special to me because this is my father's favorite meal and I love making this for him.
Using the low fat or skimmed milk helps eliminate few extra calories from this recipe which would otherwise be caused by heavy cream as I have found in many other recipes, however the flour and cheddar cheese helps maintain a creamy texture. It's delicious and light, and any one can take a second serving without worrying much about extra calories! ;)
To start with, you only need few simple ingredients.
1. Chop garlic and saute in oil. 2. Add flour and cook on low flame until flour changes it's color. 3. Now remove from flame, add milk and stir vigorously so that lumps are not formed. 4. When the flour is mixed well with milk, turn on the heat again and add sliced mushrooms and cook for 4-5 minutes on low flame. 5. Add grated cheddar cheese and cook until cheese melts. 6. Marinate chicken fillets with salt and pepper for 30 minutes and grill.
The first picture of this post is of the platter made by me where the grilled chicken is served over a bed of mashed potatoes, while the picture below is what my cousin Dee and I made over the weekend with grilled vegetables and baked potato with sour cream.
Which platter do you like more?
Hope every one has a Happy Friday and a very nice weekend :)
See you all on Monday. TC!
Grilled Chicken with Mushroom Sauce
- Boneless Chicken Fillets (2)
- Mushrooms (4 - sliced)
- Low fat or skimmed milk (3/4 cup)
- Flour (1 tbsp)
- Grated cheddar cheese (4 tbsp)
- Chicken Stock Cube (1)
- Chopped garlic (1 tbsp)
- Salt and pepper (1/2 tsp each)
- Oil (2 tbsp)
Method for sauce:
- Chop garlic and saute in oil until garlic becomes slightly brownish.
- Add flour and cook on low flame until flour changes it's color. make sure to continue stirring to avoid burning of flour.
- Once the flour has slightly changed color, remove from flame and add milk and crushed stock cube. Stir vigorously so that lumps are not formed.
- Once the flour and milk are well mixed, add sliced mushrooms and let simmer on low flame for 4-5 minutes.
- Now add grated cheddar cheese and let cook only until the cheese melts. Do not over cook.
Method for Grilled Chicken:
- Marinate the chicken fillets in salt and pepper.
- Grill after 15 to 20 minutes of marination.
Note: The mushroom sauce tends to get thick if kept for more than 20 to 30 minutes. Therefore either prepare this sauce right before serving or add few spoons full of milk before serving.